I also think about all the time they spend watching past games of upcoming opponents. Listening to my husband talk about who is going into this week's fantasy line up kills me...the effort and research and mind numbing facts we can spit out on these guys makes me laugh. I think about how that defensive line watches hours and hours of how their line backer is going to sack the QB and special teams will block punts. They analyze hours of material to come up with their best game plan of attack. They have a goal for each game and I am sure they have a huge feeling of disappointment when they come up short. However...the next week, baring no injury and coach still on board with them, they are out there again...showing what they have worked for.
So here you are thinking...where is she going with this crazy analogy. Well you are your own opponent. You already know your weaknesses and your strengths yet we forget to curb our approach to our goals to play off of them. Today write down a list of things that you enjoy...that you do well...that make you happy. Then write down a list of things that you can't really get yourself to do.
Take the I hate to run, exercise or stick with any type of nutrition/fitness program. Break it up ...figure out one change this week that you can make to turn things around...start to embrace that suck!
- If you love to cook but have been making all the wrong things to keep your body going strong....check out a new website for fun recipes http://www.skinnytaste.com/
- If you love to bake yet the cookies are gone in hours after they are made...try some yummy Pumpkin Muffins....One can Pumpkin, one box spice mix...NOTHING else. Mix and bake and you and your family will love. IF you can handle putting chocolate chips in go for it...add a cup to the batter...but if you KNOW yourself and that is too tempting...leave them out.
- If you know that personal fitness is not something you will stick with...find a buddy to help keep you accountable. They will be waiting on the corner for you to go for a walk, they will be at that class...ready to chat about the day...time you are giving back to yourself!
- If you know that you like to exercise but just can't motivate yourself to make it happen...find a personal trainer or a local bootcamp so that you know they will help you get moving.
- You know motivation is only accessible first thing in the morning...make it happen...GET UP EARLY and get you in before you have to take care of all other issues/people.
- Candy is your kryptonite...DON'T buy candy for Halloween until Oct 30th...and only buy items you DO NOT like!! Don't sabotage yourself.
- Don't have a pity party for yourself because you are going through both mental and physical changes. Both are going to start really hard...you are going to want to stop and not go for the workout...or just eat something in lieu of waiting for dinner. Stay the course...make the hard choices.
- Don't go and sign yourself up for a half marathon when you have never run a 5k. The whole process of transformation is about discovering yourself and uncovering a stronger person.
- Don't tell yourself you are never having a cookie or glass of wine again...they become a forbidden item and then you want it even more and will probably binge on a whole box (wine or cookies :))!
If you put yourself on too steep of an accelerated path this new person is just going to become angry, tired, frustrated and will want to throw in the towel. You have to give yourself a chance to fly before your clip your own wings. Take all of these changes a day at a time. Know that results will come but they won't happen the first day you didn't have fast food for lunch.
Having my husband with me through this journey has been amazing. We support each other every day...make sure that we both can fit in our workouts, that a healthy meal is on the table at the end of the day...and maybe we are getting enough sleep. Find someone to walk through the journey with...it doesn't have to be a spouse but someone that you can be accountable to. Take it slow, remember where your weaknesses lie...and remember that you do have strengths! More will start to appear as you progress and those weaknesses will fade away. Start finding the new you today and kick the old you to the curb!!
Embrace the Suck...Choose You!