Friday, September 17, 2021

Race Ready

What does that mean really...mentally, physically, emotionally??  We are doing something we haven't done before...we have done these pieces...but never all together, never on the same day.   2696.9 miles biking, 141,563 yards swimming, and 728.5miles swam over the past nine months.  Tomorrow we have 17 hours to complete 2.4 miles swim, 112 miles bike and 26.2 running.  So many hours out of the house or in the dark basement before the kids were awake, some days it was glorious and the sunrise made it worth it.  Other days it was everything in our power to make it just through to get back into our homes to shower and get the grime off of us to then get back to the things that our family needed from us on that day.  We are not superhumans but we are dedicated.  We are selfish at times but also giving.  We are not letting our own goals get put to the side away from the goals of our family.  We are setting examples for our children and those close to us to not be afraid and to do something that is hard and scary.  We are also very scared and cautious with this whole process.  

tri family love
I keep saying we because I am not in this alone.  Two others will tow this line with me tomorrow that have been with me for so many of these early mornings.  This is more than a goal tied to a finish line.  This is a goal that feeds off of something bigger.  It was identifying the goal and then having the nerve to find the race, find the people to support you through the process and then go.  Go forward together.  We started as a group of five and unfortunately through accidents and injury we are down to three.  But you know what...those other two, and SOOOO many others are still a part of the process.  Having others join in on the random workouts or having a conversation with a person in the lane next to me at the pool, assures me that I am not alone in chasing these crazy dreams and they make me feel that they are in fact attainable.

I don't know that I would ever think twenty years ago or even ten years ago that I would be towing the line to my first IRONMAN tomorrow.  Ben and I fell into these fitness goals.  They started with a fun run then a few little relays then they just grew.  Ben was the one that started this whole idea of a triathalon.  I thought he was crazy. I couldn't swim like he could and I didn't even like to put my face in the water.  The races just kept coming and before I knew it running was a part of our lives.  I had a relationship with running that helped me after each kid get back to where I felt was a good place to be.  It gave me the mental escape as well and one that was very appreciated over these past two years....aka...the COVID years.  IRONMAN was checked off of Ben's list four times...and I had done a few halves....and enjoyed the training....the logical next step was a full.  So here we are.

Things will happen tomorrow that haven't happened in the past nine months, they will be completely out of my control.  There will be jellyfish, winds, heat, congestion at aid stations, people that are in all states and none of that is in my control.  I can control my calm strokes as I begin the swim, the care I take around random potholes on the course, the fuel I put in to my body so it can continue to charge forward, and the smile I can bring to my face as I accomplish a goal that at first seem so unachievable. 

coincidence?
Persistence is a big fancy word for "never giving up."

Determination is just another way of saying "no ifs, ands, or buts."

Courage is about having the guts to do what needs to be done."

I came across this magnet on the fridge at the house we are staying at in Cambridge...pretty perfect.



So we start tomorrow, less than 12 hours until we start this craziness!  I am thankful for my dear husband, coach, and number one supporter.  I know his cheers will be the loudest and his excitement will match mine in every way.  I know he has made us all feel ready to tackle this physically, I will be an emotional mess right along with him tomorrow and the mental game will be one I have to face alone.  I am ready for this, nothing can be done to ensure more readiness...and for that I am grateful.  He knows first hand how much this takes a toll on one in every way possible.  He has let me rest and taken the reigns when needed....every single time.  Tomorrow is the celebration for everyone...we are most definitely race ready.


my number one fan


embrace the suck...choose you...hard is possible.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats, Julie, you rocked your race and now you're an Ironman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie...definitely a day I will always remember!!

      Delete