Thursday, January 5, 2017

enough already...yes you can

With a New Year comes new aspirations for yourself.  It had me thinking about how I often want to make sure all is good for everyone in my life.  Do they really care that they have cute winter flannel sheets on their bed, do they know I hunted and gathered all things Christmas for months leading up to the big day??  I know that I never knew how much my mom did for our family until I became a mother myself and as mine has grown and require even more....and have bigger problems...I know that it was a lot and continues to be a lot for one mind to manage.  However, we keep doing it, we want what is best for everyone that is closet to us and many times that means putting ourselves at the bottom of the to do list.  

So with all that prep and focus on the holidays one can only know what will happen to their goals.  I can't even begin to tell you how hard it hurt when I feel off the wagon over the past month and half.  I had no limits for myself, I kept up my running but for the most part they were junk miles, nothing quality, just getting it done.  I hit my goal of 2016 miles in 2016 and that was truly amazing.  I set a goal, I worked my but off to reach that goal and not one that I am looking to redo anytime soon.  I am avoiding wearing jeans until these pounds are off...I would not be able to handle the pain I would be in wanting to have them off of my doughy body.  I lost sight of my overall goal in focusing on my mileage goal and am paying the price now.  I am not going to beat myself up over it...I am not weighing myself daily, in fact I am not weighing myself at all.  I am focused, determined, driven and that is what is going to get me there...I know what I am capable of and don't need a number to dictate my mood for the day.

I also have started journaling.  It has only been five days worth but I am hoping it will help me look back and see how certain nights of sleep effect my mood the next day or even my exercise habits.  I thought 2015 was the year of the new Julie but I think it is really 2017.  2016 was a lot about testing my boundaries and seeing how I work best and where my weaknesses still are.  I did my thing in 2016 and it was great...had a great full marathon and did two Ragnar Relays but I am hoping for even bigger things for 2017.  And what it comes down to at the end of the day is...yes I can.


It is that simple.  We all have the choice it's just what do you really want.  I could give you a hundred reasons as to why I don't want to do something and probably no reason as to why I can't do it.  Are we busy with the right things, are we choosing to make a stronger you or are we busy making sure everyone is improving while we sit back and help.  Don't get me wrong...I make sure I am on the to-do list but this year I am going to go even more ALL IN.  There is no reason not to.

I am still finding new ways to fall in love with fitness.  I think that is a very important part of life's journey.  For as much as I talk about routine and how that is helpful on my path to success...you also need to make those changes so it remains fresh and you want to do it not just because it is a part of a training plan.  Just like you grow with your partner in life you have to grow with yourself and your relationship with fitness.  

So what am I focusing on for 2017...this will be my year for my Boston Qualifier...I can just feel it...I have a full marathon in April and with coming out of 2016 with 2016 miles run I have a great base under my belt.  I am now running less and according to my training plan so that my legs can have a bit of a breather before I get into the meat of the training plan.  And a bonus I age up this year so my qualifying time is a little bit slower...pays to get older ;)  Then me and 11 of my crazy girl friends will head to Canada to run Ragnar Niagara Falls in May.  After that I will turn things towards the sport of triathlon and do two races over the summer, sprint and olympic distance, which will lead up to a half iron distance in September. 

I tell my kids all the time not to use the word "Can't." I am going to stop using the word as well in 2017.  I am going to continue to try new things, not feel defeated because things don't always go my way.  Just because an initial goal is not met does not make one a failure.  I never would have have guessed this girl from 2014 right here would want to do anything like try for a third time to qualify for Boston after missing my mere seconds, or say I will tackle a full IronMan in 2018, or hope to inspire others to keep pushing towards their fitness goals.  I am not just a mom and a finder of all lost things.  I will continue to kick my own butt and tell myself as much as I may not want to...yes I can. I can do hard things and will continue to push to see where my limit may in fact lie.

january 2014


Embrace the Suck...Choose You...
Today is a new day for you...yes you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment